Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Avoid LAN Airlines

I am traveling and living in the least expensive places
I can find in España and Portugal after LAN airlines
didn´t let me board a flight to Quito, Ecuador on August
26th, 2011.

I´m trying to save another airfare. LAN didn´t let
me proceed past the ticket booth unless I either bought
a return ticket or a ticket for a forwarding flight to
another South American country.

They had a separate counter set up where people could
purchase either ticket. I was told that if I bought a ticket to
Medellin, Colombia for €350, then I could get on the plane and then
cancel that flight the next day in Quito. The woman said that LAN
airlines would then reimburse me.

I asked if LAN would reimburse me in cash, and they woman said "Oh,
we never do it in cash; we put it back on your credit card." The
problem for me was that I had no credit card; just €450 cash, so
if I did that I would only have about $140 until September 1st.

I thought that I might be able to make it on that, but realized
that they could refuse me entry for ´insufficient funds.´ So I
was stuck in Spain; I lost my flat in the process and am then
found myself living out of cheap hostels or hotels.

I spent 30 nights in Badajoz, Spain; it was a lovely place and I
saved just under €300, but I need another €1,000 tops.

I spend 7 nights in Lisboa, Portugal, a lovely city, but couldn´t
afford €30 a night. I am now in Porto for my first night in a place
for €20 a night. All the places have been very nice, and the people
at this one are great, and the place looks good. If not for a friend´s
help I would be spending nights on the street.

In fact, I have been looking for camping gear as I reasoned that 20-30
nights camping would save much more money quicker. I figured that I could
spend every 4th and 5th night in a hostel that way.

I am trying to save money to get back over to Ecuador. I wanted to travel
in South America; it is much cheaper and would ease my financial burden.
I make more than enough to live comfortably in South America.

I am a Vietnam veteran and I am writing a novel.

It seemed hypocritical for the airlines LAN not to let me board the
flight unless I bought a ticket that I could cancel the next day.
That´s a scheme, or what I would call a scam.

I lost €758+ in airfare, my apartment, and I found out that I am not
the only one that LAN has done that to. It´s a morally and ethically
bankrupt policy for them to do that, but it is also very profitable
for them.

So, if you intend to travel to South America avoid LAN Airlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment